[geeks] Ubuntu on Intel graphics

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Sun Mar 7 17:46:51 CST 2010

Lionel Peterson wrote:
> On Mar 7, 2010, at 1:15 AM, "Joshua D. Boyd" <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:
>
>> However, when I say working, it only works in VESA mode.  It seems
>> that the Intel driver in 9.10 won't work with this.  The Intel driver
>> that will work with this requires a newer kernel, so it won't really
>> be properly supported until Ubuntu 10.04.  Sigh.
>
> Wow, this stuff used to "just work" - what is really amazing to me is
> that the ubiquity of Intel graphics cards should have kept this type of
> problem from ever happening...
>
> The novelty of testing ubuntu releases must have have worn off for the
> ubuntu folks...
>
> They'll have to step-up and do better in the future, IMHO.

Well, the PineTrail chipsets are newer than Ubuntu 9.10, and apparently
they aren't compatible enough with previous GMA graphics chipsets.  For
some Xorg drivers, there are backport repositories and/or bleeding edge
repositories, but apparently Intel/Tungstun graphics decided that their
support for the PineTrail graphics would only go in a release new enough
that it requires a newer kernel than 9.10 supplies.

That is to say, while Ubuntu may be slipping in their testing, in this
particular case, I'm not sure what they could do.