[geeks] Ubuntu on Intel graphics

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Sun Mar 7 00:15:41 CST 2010

Joshua Boyd wrote:

> OK, I got a DVD drive for the machine now and can actually try out some
> of the suggestions I couldn't before.  I didn't have time last night to
> try all of them yet though.  In particular, the netbook respin was
> still downloading when I went to bed.
>
> So, Ubuntu 9.10 regular install CD will not sucessfully get me to a
> desktop.  The safe graphics mode installer will show me graphics, but I
> don't know yet it it will install a properly working system, since I
> bailed out to try some other things first.

OK, the safe graphics mode installer would install, but the installed
system blanked the screen like the original 9.10 disk did.

Eventually I found a post on the Ubuntu forums that said I needed to do
a BIOS update, and that seems to have gotten it working now.

However, when I say working, it only works in VESA mode.  It seems that
the Intel driver in 9.10 won't work with this.  The Intel driver that
will work with this requires a newer kernel, so it won't really be
properly supported until Ubuntu 10.04.  Sigh.

It appears that Fedora 12 has a new enough kernel, and thus will
probably work, so if I have time I'll give that a try while waiting for
Ubuntu 10.04.  I also wanted to try Solaris, so I guess I'll start
downloading that as well.