[geeks] pf question: doing internal rdr?

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Tue Jun 8 07:44:29 CDT 2010

On 06/08/10 03:45, Michael-John Turner wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 02, 2010 at 05:46:58PM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> Can anyone point me at a way to do this that will work with clients on
>> the same segment as the squid proxy, but does not require a manual proxy
>> setting on the client (and thus cannot be evaded at the client simply by
>> clearing the proxy setting)?
>
> I'm pretty certain it's not possible to do what you want to do,
> unfortunately - all transparent proxying setups I've seen have Squid
> running on the same system as pf. If you could do that, and compile Squid
> with transparent proxying support, it's possible.

I was wondering if that's what I was going to need to do, actually.  The
thought had crossed my mind.  I just haven't done all the research yet.

Ideally, I'd prefer to be able to have user-specific URL block/allow
lists, but I can get by for most purposes with ip-specific URL
block/allow lists.  Unfortunately most of the squid add-on filtering
tools I've found appear to either not do what I want, or build only on
Linux.  I've actually wondered whether it'd be easier to build my own,
if I could just find documentation on squid's plugin interface.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.