[geeks] iPad - a 'Miss' for me I'm afraid

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Wed Jan 27 17:37:36 CST 2010

> Personally if it can run an SSH client, and Remote Desktop Connection,
> and the keyboard doesn't suck, I would buy one.

I have a good one on my iPhone right now, iSSH (RDP coming soon):

http://www.zinger-soft.com/iSSH_features.html

I don't see why that wouldn't work great on the iPad.

> Add a VOIP client that lets me use it as a phone and I am so there; I
> could ditch my cell phone for 95% of the time.

Google Voice was improved significantly as a web-based app on the iPhone:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/01/hands-on-with-google-voices-improved-web-app-for-iphone.ars

No reason to believe the iPad-optimized version won't be just as
good/better, and I wouldn't be surprised to see other offerings as well.

> That said:
>
> I predict it will be a big seller.

Of course, and it will be interesting to see what the ChromeOS platform
coming out later this year will be like up against it (Google is aiming
for the same target with it's future hardware/software, but Apple has a
good head start).

And FYI: "You can use any bluetooth keyboard you want, instead of Apple's
keyboard dock."[1]

- Nate

[1]
http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/01/photo-gallery-hands-on-with-the-ipad-and-live-event.ars