[geeks] iPad - a 'Miss' for me I'm afraid

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 17:56:35 CST 2010

On 27 Jan 2010, at 23:37, nate at portents.com wrote:

> I have a good one on my iPhone right now, iSSH (RDP coming soon):
>
> http://www.zinger-soft.com/iSSH_features.html

Holy crepe, is that really a genuine local SSH client? I didn't think Apple
approved of those and you had to Jailbreak etc.

Have you tried SSH to localhost? :P

> I don't see why that wouldn't work great on the iPad.

iPhone Apps work great on it in scaled modes apparently. I can bet if that's
on iPhone it'll get adapted to iPad in pretty short order too.

>> Add a VOIP client that lets me use it as a phone and I am so there; I
>> could ditch my cell phone for 95% of the time.
>
> Google Voice was improved significantly as a web-based app on the iPhone:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/01/hands-on-with-google-voices-improve
d-web-app-for-iphone.ars

Boy they are not letting this bone lie with the whole Google Talk on iPhone
thing...

> No reason to believe the iPad-optimized version won't be just as
> good/better, and I wouldn't be surprised to see other offerings as well.

Again, works on iPhone = works on iPad. Same OS (almost), bigger screen. I'd
have thought it'd do just great. It is web based though so you never know ;)

>> I predict it will be a big seller.
>
> Of course

Of course it will. It's got an Apple badge on. With a large section of their
customer base that alone is a license to print money.

> and it will be interesting to see what the ChromeOS platform
> coming out later this year will be like up against it (Google is aiming
> for the same target with it's future hardware/software, but Apple has a
> good head start).

Not interested in ChromeOS, it's *too* google flavoured for my liking. I'd
prefer Android on that same hardware design. There were a few Android devices
at CES but they all look to small to me. I want something 1024x7668 (same as
my present 12" Motion Computing Tablet) and light with an OS I can do what I
damned well like on :)

> And FYI: "You can use any bluetooth keyboard you want, instead of Apple's
> keyboard dock."[1]

Oh good god. Seriously? What's the betting they *don't* enable that on the
iPhone...

--
Mark Benson

My Blog: