[geeks] geeks Digest, Vol 86, Issue 11

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 13:34:07 CST 2010

On Jan 19, 2010, at 10:41 AM, Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>
wrote:

> A lot of churches already do Sunday school.  I wouldn't want my kids
> at
> a school run by a church though.  It's my opinion that beyond the
> basics
> of reading, writing and arithmetic, religion and education have a bad
> tendency to be incompatible, because religions have a nasty tendency
> redefine facts for consistency with their dogma.  And once they start
> lying about some facts, they have to lie about other facts to cover up
> the first set of lies, and so it goes....

Many private colleges and universities were either started by or are
still run by religions. I attended a private HS run by Methodist
Church, we had chapel, occasional religion classes, and an excellent
science program. Oh, and we had all denominations of Christianity, one-
third of my graduating class was Jewish, and we had many Islamist
students from the middle east (Iran mostly) and a couple budahists
(sp?) from China/Japan/Korea.

My school wasn't as you perceive most private schools are/were.

Lionel