[geeks] geeks Digest, Vol 86, Issue 11

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Wed Jan 20 19:14:56 CST 2010

> I don't know - a lot of catholic schools are very good. I am an atheist and
> don't have a problem with religion in school, per se, and the tendency of
> government schools to distort the truth is no worse. Private and charter
> schools seem to be the way to go, as the local and state governments seem
> incapable or providing a basic education - free from social indoctrination.

And a lot are pretty bad.  My high school did not prepare me for college and
there was no basic help for just about anything, including getting into college.
I've found that transfers from Catholic high schools are deficient in math and
science.  My son went to the same high school and they did not improve in 40
years.  Why did we both go?  Alternative to the local public high school which
was allowed to descend to crap.

> I still hold that stuff I found trying to complete my master's thesis rings
> true to me - computers in the classroom are more-or-less a gigantic waste of
> time and/or money. We'd be better off sticking to the maths, sciences,
> reading, etc. and instilling the young 'uns with the thinking skills needed
> to excel in the world. Don't get me started on the over-valuation of
> high-school and college sports either - as someone who played both.

Even though a bit dated, I would recommend reading "Silicon Snake Oil" by
Clifford Stall.  He still has some valid points.

My younger son plays sports because he like to.  If his grades slip, he's off!

Bob