[geeks] geeks Digest, Vol 86, Issue 11

Dr. Robert Pasken 300a rpasken at eas.slu.edu
Wed Jan 20 08:13:48 CST 2010

Phil Stracchino wrote:
> On 01/19/10 09:20, wa2egp at att.net wrote:
>
>>> Imagine if a church did it - all the children in the church enroll in
>>> cyber school, put their PCs and materials in the church building, and
>>> met each day for instruction without a lot of state regulations,
>>> guidelines and mandates...
>>>
>> There's always some regulations, guidelines and mandates that have to
>> followed.  The state won't give that up. :-)
>>

> A lot of churches already do Sunday school.  I wouldn't want my kids at
> a school run by a church though.  It's my opinion that beyond the basics
> of reading, writing and arithmetic, religion and education have a bad
> tendency to be incompatible, because religions have a nasty tendency to
> redefine facts for consistency with their dogma.  And once they start
> lying about some facts, they have to lie about other facts to cover up
> the first set of lies, and so it goes....

More importantly religious schools rarely have the rigor necessary for a
good education . We looked at sending our son to a Catholic high school.
My son spent a day shadowing a sophomore at one of the best local high
Catholic high schools, His comment when got home was what did he do
wrong that he was being put with all the "dummies". He had already had
geometry and Algebra I in junior high, and would have gone into algebra
II in 9th grade. The Catholic high school 9th grade honors math was a
watered down Algebra I and the 10th honor's geometry didn't include
proofs. Had he gone to any of the private schools locally he would have
been at least two years behind in science and math compared to his
public school peers. I never understood what the my non-majors  students
were referring to when the asked for a "do over", until my wife and I
went to the Catholic school orientation night. Where it was explained to
us that ALL their students get A's and B' because it was policy to a
allow a student to take a test as many times as necessary to get an A or
B. If it took 25 times then it took 25 times. I've yet to see a private
school student make it through any of the hard science, engineering or
mathematics major