[geeks] [rescue] Ultra 5 OS

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Apr 27 16:56:29 CDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 05:41:36PM -0400, Andrew Jones wrote:

>Don't forget that Red Hat bought out the very first open source software
>company: Cygnus.

IBM used to give away it's operating system software and basic applications
programs. In the early 1950's it started a library of free software
from contributors. So they were giving away open source software long before
Cygnus existed.

I have had programs which were given away on various mod tapes, the most
famous was a variant of Kermit/370. (it was only a minor mod, I was working
on a much better version when I left my job involuntarily and the project
died with it.)

Mendelson's law (number 1): Microcomputer people consider it their g-d given
right to make the same mistakes that mainframe people did 30 years earlier.

Geoff.

New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.