[geeks] IDE drive problem on U5

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Thu Apr 22 22:21:53 CDT 2010

William Barnett-Lewis wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm trying to get an OS loaded on a rescued U5. It came with two WD
> 45gb EIDE drives & a CDROM installed. I've tried every cableing
> combination I can think of with both drives or either/or drive in,
> master, slave, cs, almost ready to sacrifice a chicken as if it were a
> SCSI chain...
>

>From the OpenBoot PROM console, can you run show-devs or show-disks ?  I
don't know if probe-scsi-all also checks the IDE bus or not; try
probe-ide also (may or may not be there dependent on how old the OBP
version is).

Also double check the jumpers, there was a jumper setting to keep the
drive to report itself as being under either 32GB or 8GB, due to a
then-current BIOS or DOS limitation - might be screwing things up.

Finally, on the off chance you have a Mac or Windows box and an external
USB drive, try sticking one of the drives into that, and seeing if you
desktop sees it at all (even if it just prompts you to format it).

--Patrick