[geeks] trader joes

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Wed Jul 22 13:57:50 CDT 2009

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 18:49:14 +0300, gsm at mendelson.com wrote:
> That only works when the governments govern people with common moral
> codes, ethics, goals, etc. The EU works because most of the people

There are those who would claim that the EU doesn't work, although I
suspect they actually claim that the version of the EU as seen by the
gutter press(*) doesn't work.

> are either members of the Universal Apastolic Church, or churches
> derived from it.

The what? The only reference I can find to that church is something
that started in the 1820s, so I'm pretty sure you can't mean that. If
you meant "christian", then yes most Europeans have a christian
background (although the majority of young people would probably not
describe themselves as religious even in traditionally very religious
countries).

*: One recent EU scare story put out by the UK's gutter press was in
   relation to how ridiculous it was to ask UK horse owners not to eat
   their horses. Looking into what the EU was actually proposing and it
   suddenly seemed a lot more sensible involving preventing horses
   being treated with drugs not safe in food animals entering the food
   chain. Even without previous knowledge it would lead anyone to
   suspect that the newspaper proprietor has an excessive bias against
   the EU.