[geeks] trader joes

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Jul 22 14:35:25 CDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 07:57:50PM +0100, Mike Meredith wrote:

>> are either members of the Universal Apastolic Church, or churches
>> derived from it.
>
>The what? The only reference I can find to that church is something
>that started in the 1820s, so I'm pretty sure you can't mean that. If
>you meant "christian", then yes most Europeans have a christian
>background (although the majority of young people would probably not
>describe themselves as religious even in traditionally very religious
>countries).

That's the Offical name of the Church, although it is usually refered to
by the location of it's headquarters (Rome) and an archaic word (Latin?)
for Universal (Catholic). In plain English, the Roman Catholic Church.

I have no idea what the current Pope calls it, but his predecessor always
called it the Universal Church when he was speaking in English.

Meanwhile, even if they are Roman Catholic, or lapsed Roman Catholic, or
members of a Protestant Church or non practicing Christians, it's all
basicly the same, based upon Pauline Christianity.

This is in contrast to other religons which have different cultural norms,
some of which are compatible with it and some which are not. For example,
a Jew can live in a Christian country if not forced to do incompatible
things (such as eat pork or a cheeseburger, work on the sabbath, etc).

Geoff.