[geeks] trader joes

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Jul 22 10:49:14 CDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 10:40:47AM -0400, nate at portents.com wrote:
>To a large extent, I actually agree with the character Martin Blank
>(played by John Cusack) from Grosse Pointe Blank when he says, "The idea
>of governments, nations is public relations theory at this point," except
>I would also extend that to states.

That only works when the governments govern people with common moral codes,
ethics, goals, etc. The EU works because most of the people are either
members of the Universal Apastolic Church, or churches derived from it.

It worked in the US, because immigrants had to follow US law. If they wanted
other laws to govern them, they had to do it on top of US/state law not
instead of it. US Federal law, and all but one state's law were based upon
English common law (or common rejections of it) and the one state that
was based upon the Napolianic Code has moved (mostly) in line with the others.

For example, when I got a Jewish religious divorce from my first wife, no one
would even talk to us about it until we had a civil divorce and property
settlement.

Unfortunately there is now a  worldwide movement to implement overriding sharia
courts, and a subculture of various immigrant groups ignoring local law.

Geoff.