[geeks] Secret codes, was US Post Office Website broken again

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Mon Jul 20 23:06:52 CDT 2009

Robert Brooke Gravitt wrote:
> On Jul 20, 2009, at 9:46 PM, Dan Sikorski wrote:
>
>> First draft of this email used macys.com as the example, but after
>> checking their website, they allow checkout without creating an
>> account.  Fortunately some websites do it that way.  I think that the
>> increasing requirements of PCI compliance will push more websites to
>> stop requiring accounts, which is probably the only good side effect
>> of those regulations.
>>
>>   -Dan Sikorski
>
> As the dude on this list who's an infrastructure architect (LOL!) for
> Macys.com, you have my full attention if you have gripes. In this case
> ( well, and for bloomingdales.com as we own them too ) let me know if
> there is anything I can pass along to the team. Of course, if you have
> kudos, I'd love to be able to pass that along as well.

I knew you were out there, that's why I figured I had better check
before using macys.com as my example.  I browsed around a little to see
if i have any gripes  (and to shop for pants, which i do actually need),
and didn't come up with any.  Kudos for not requiring the creation of an
account just to buy a pair of socks. :)  Out of curiosity, do you know
what was the motivation to not require an account to place an order?
Was it due to customer requests for that, limiting the amount of
sensitive data you store, or both?

    -Dan Sikorski