[geeks] Secret codes, was US Post Office Website broken again

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 08:37:45 CDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 12:06 AM, Dan Sikorski<me at dansikorski.com> wrote:

<snip>

> I knew you were out there, that's why I figured I had better check before
> using macys.com as my example.  I browsed around a little to see if i have
> any gripes  (and to shop for pants, which i do actually need), and didn't
> come up with any.  Kudos for not requiring the creation of an account just
> to buy a pair of socks. :)  Out of curiosity, do you know what was the
> motivation to not require an account to place an order?  Was it due to
> customer requests for that, limiting the amount of sensitive data you
store,
> or both?

Reminds me of the old Radio Shack policy to *require* a name and
address for even the smallest of purchases... They've since stopped it
a number of years ago, but at the time it was a real source of pain
for many customers *simply* for the hassle alone, I wasn't worried
that RS knew that I bought the AA battery, it was that I had to walk
the clerk through the spelling of my street name, etc...

--
Lionel Peterson
lionel4287 at gmail.com