[geeks] Secret codes, was US Post Office Website broken again

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Mon Jul 20 20:46:17 CDT 2009

Rick Hamell wrote:
> I resisted for as long as I could. But this is the reason I started
> writing passwords down and keeping them in an encrypted file. Add in my
> own anal retentiveness about not having duplicate passwords and it
> becomes a nightmare to remember. Especially for those lesser sites I
> only log in to every few months or so

Which brings me to another gripe:  Web based stores that i use
infrequently and require the creation of an account that stores my
information.  If I buy pants from tallpantscheap.com every 3 years, by
the time it's time to buy new pants, my address may have changed and my
credit card expired.  Why did they remember it for me, instead of giving
me the option of checking out without creating an account?

First draft of this email used macys.com as the example, but after
checking their website, they allow checkout without creating an
account.  Fortunately some websites do it that way.  I think that the
increasing requirements of PCI compliance will push more websites to
stop requiring accounts, which is probably the only good side effect of
those regulations.

    -Dan Sikorski