[geeks] Secret codes, was US Post Office Website broken again

Rick Hamell hamellr at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 15:42:01 CDT 2009

Dan Sikorski wrote:
> Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> I have never understood why so few sites simply let you choose your OWN
>> "secret question".
>>

> I hate the ones that change.  My favorite
> movie/restaurant/book/food/pet/author/actor can change pretty quickly.
> So, to recover my password, I would have to remember what my favorite
> movie was at the time i created the account?  Right.  Combine that with
> site's different definition of what a "strong" password is, and
> arbitrary password change intervals and you have disaster.

I resisted for as long as I could. But this is the reason I started
writing passwords down and keeping them in an encrypted file. Add in my
own anal retentiveness about not having duplicate passwords and it
becomes a nightmare to remember. Especially for those lesser sites I
only log in to every few months or so.

--
Rick Hamell
http://RickHamell.com

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of hamellr.vcf]