[geeks] RAM and CPU for sale

Chad McAuley chizad at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 23:18:07 CDT 2009

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 8:40 PM, Lionel Peterson<lionel4287 at gmail.com> wrote:
> FYI - I spake for it (My surplused Opteron 1210 was looking for a friend ;^)
>
> Anyone have any opinions of Gigabyte MBs, the GA-MA-74GM-S2 in particular?

I don't have any experience with that particular board, but the MB
currently in my PC as well as the one it replaced were both Gigabyte
and I've had no problems with either. Current board is an EP45-UD3L
that has given me zero problems in the ~6 months I've had it.  For
about a year and a half before that I was running a GA-8I865GME775-RH
that also gave me no trouble.  The EP45 board I deliberately chose
Gigabyte after reading nothing but good things about that particular
board as well as other Gigabyte boards. The 865 board was pretty much
my only option for what I needed at the time [0], but luckily it
worked out very well. Based on my experiences with these two boards, I
have no problems recommending Gigabyte stuff, and they'll probably be
one of the first brands I look at for my next MB.

[0] Old Epox NForce2/Athlon 2500+ combo kicked the bucket and I wanted
to get the system running again quickly and on the cheap.  That meant
finding a board that would take my existing DDR RAM and AGP GPU so I'd
only have to buy a MB/CPU.  The Gigabyte board was the only board I
could find new that fit both those criteria.  If I'd had more time I
probably could've picked up a used A64 setup, but like I said I wanted
to get the system back up and running quickly and didn't want to take
the time to go ebay/forum/craigslist/etc hunting.