[geeks] RAM and CPU for sale

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 20:40:50 CDT 2009

FYI - I spake for it (My surplused Opteron 1210 was looking for a friend ;^)

Anyone have any opinions of Gigabyte MBs, the GA-MA-74GM-S2 in particular?

I have precious little experience with AMD boards and chips, but this
board looks good for my purposes: I need to make two virtual servers
for a failover cluster under Windows 2008 (Hyper-V). The things I'm
looking for in an MB are:

AM2 socket with confirmed interoperability with Opteron 1210 CPU - check
Gigabit Ethernet - check
Dual Ethernet ports - miss
Capable of 8 Gigs of RAM on board - check
Four memory sockets - miss
SATA, IDE support - check
PCI Express expansion - check
PCI slot - check
Low price (under $75/each, I need two) - check ($58 at Microcenter.com)

I found a good review of this board on silentpcreview, the board is on
the OpenSolaris HCL, and the Opteron 1210 is specifically listed as
supported on this board.

Anyone have a different suggestion? I can go up to full ATX size MB (I
have some chassis w/PS already), but it looks like I'd have to spend a
fair bit more money to get dual NICs and more memory sockets, but this
looks like a good compromise (a quick scan of newegg shows I'd have to
spend over double)...

Lionel