[geeks] Google announces Google Chrome OS

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Thu Jul 9 16:34:21 CDT 2009

On Thu, 9 Jul 2009, gsm at mendelson.com wrote:
> Subject: Re: [geeks] Google announces Google Chrome OS
> On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 03:03:10PM -0500, Michael Parson wrote:
>
>> I need to get off my duff and get this box's replacement up and
>> running, 3.0 is quite old, and this hardware is starting to show its
>> age.
>
> Whatever you do do not replace it with Ubuntu. I thought I was past
> the daily reboots because it lost the ability to make outgoing TCP
> connections, but today my wife complained that she was asked to enter
> her password in outlook.

Oh, don't worry, I don't touch Ubuntu.  The only time bl.org was even on
a Linux was when it was on a box, under my desk, and I could reach the
network cable easily.  It's been on NetBSD since I lost my ISDN line to
the house along with the /28 that went with it and I had to stick it in
a rack at a colo.

>From memory, I think I went something like:

NetBSD 1.1 on an Amiga 3000
RH Linux 4.2 on a DEC Multia

at some point we went to i386 systems, running RH 6.2.

Then I had to colo the system, started off with

NetBSD 2.0 on a CompuAdd SS 2 clone, which couldn't handle the load, so
I put together the physical system it's currently on, which has been
upgraded over the years to be:

NetBSD 3.0 on an Intel 815 Motherboard, 800 MHz PIII, and 512 meg ram
(max the board supports).

New box, currently sitting on the floor next to my Mac, is a Dell
PE860, dualcore Pentium-D, 4 Ghz, 2 gigs of RAM, 128 gig SATA disk.  It
currently has NetBSD 5.0/amd64 loaded.  I just need to order a set of
rails for it and get it into the colo, so I can retire the old box.

> This occurs not because of an outlook or dovecot (pop server) problem,
> but because the PAM can no longer find her login. The system was up a
> little over 24 hours. :-(

Unreal.

--
Michael Parson