[geeks] Google announces Google Chrome OS

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Jul 8 14:12:10 CDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 07:58:00PM +0100, Mike Meredith wrote:

>I don't think at this point it would be possible to kill Linux (or *BSD
>for that matter). Whilst the 'great unwashed' may well see Linux as
>part of Google/OS, there will still be a few weird people doing their
>own thing with 'just' Linux or 'just' *BSD.

That's why I put it in quotes. Linux will IMHO fade away as it just becomes
part of the operating system. Some people will keep the name alive as a
seperate entity, and some will use it. However now there are far more
computers running MacOS, which is UNIX, than all other variants combined
ever.

BTW, I wonder if you ask those "Maccies" who know that MacOS is UNIX
to define UNIX, they won't be able to tell you, except that it's part
of MacOS.

Like that, if Google/OS takes off, there will be in a couple of years
more computers running Google/OS than there ever were running "Linux" (notice
the quotes and I said computers).

Geoff.