[geeks] Google announces Google Chrome OS

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Wed Jul 8 13:58:00 CDT 2009

On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 19:16:44 +0300, gsm at mendelson.com wrote:
> I think it will be "the end" of Linux. In a few years Linux will be a
> component of Google/OS not something that people think of on its own.
> Look at MacOS, BSD is a component of it (I don't want to start a
> debate of how much of a part, thank you), but people don't think of
> MacOS as being either UNIX or BSD.

I don't think at this point it would be possible to kill Linux (or *BSD
for that matter). Whilst the 'great unwashed' may well see Linux as
part of Google/OS, there will still be a few weird people doing their
own thing with 'just' Linux or 'just' *BSD.

> My expectation is that most of the people contributing to the current
> distros will just shift over to Google because that is where the money
> and glory will be.

Most of those kind of people have already switched to Ubuntu or
OpenSUSE or Fedora, or whatever. There's still minor distributions
carrying on - even if you exclude those that are merely variants of the
big distributions.

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
 A petty thief is put in jail. A great brigand becomes a ruler of a