[geeks] A U30 puzzle

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Sun Jul 5 12:02:25 CDT 2009

Lionel Peterson wrote:
> I thought there was a question about HW vs. SW as the cause - as I
> understood it the HW was powered down fine, sat idle for 2 months,
> then you put Solaris 10 on and saw problems with SCSI controller and
> were uncertain about the nic.

Not exactly.

Been running minbar (the U30) since *mumble* on Solaris 9, brought up
babylon4 running Solaris 10, transferred all the data over, satisfied
myself it was stable, shut down minbar.  A month later, had three disks
on babylon4 fail in the same night.  Recreated a smaller array on
babylon4 using the remaining live disks and with multiple hot spares,
brought minbar back up, re-copied the data.  Started manually mirroring
changes on babylon4 back to minbar, and discovered I could read from but
not usably write to the array.  Messed with that for a while, found
several disks were throwing errors, disabled one (a submirror), replaced
another.  Still getting terrible write performance.  Figured as long as
I was troubleshooting and needed to re-initialize the array on good
disks I may as well bring the OS up to date, especially since 10u7 had
just shipped, so I reinstalled with Solaris 10, discovering in the
process that one of the SCSI controllers had gone south.  Replaced that,
finished installing, brought it up, disk writes are now working fine but
network performance is terrible.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.