[geeks] A U30 puzzle

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 13:42:58 CDT 2009

On Jul 4, 2009, at 1:46 AM, Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>
wrote:

> Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> Have you considered going back to Solaris 9 and perform similar
>> testing?
>>
>> I don't think you've determined if hardware or software is to
>> blame...
>> You've already had one hardware failure with this system, a second
>> failure isn't out of the question.
>>
>> Installing Solaris 9 will confirm hardware, cable and swich port are
>> all fine.
>
> The cable and switch port haven't changed, and if the problem was the
> cable or switch port connected to the hme that wouldn't explain why
> the
> e1000g is also only managing about a tenth or less of expected
> throughput.  However, I was experiencing some of these issues under
> Solaris 9; that's one of the reasons I decided to reinstall.  Going
> back
> to Solaris 9 most likely wouldn't tell me anything about the problem
> that I don't already know.
> (Though I do have a spare disk slice in there I could put it on, so it
> needn't be a destructive install.)
>
> Subsequently, even though I wasn't seeing a lot of swapping when I
> looked, I'm beginning to wonder whether the U30 simply doesn't have
> enough memory to run Solaris 10 decently.  However .... I just
> realized
> that the U2 and the U30 use the same memory modules.  And while I only
> have 512MB in minbar, I have 2GB in the U2 I'm not using.  So I think
> I'm going to perform a memory swap on the weekend and see how that
> affects things.

I thought there was a question about HW vs. SW as the cause - as I
understood it the HW was powered down fine, sat idle for 2 months,
then you put Solaris 10 on and saw problems with SCSI controller and
were uncertain about the nic.

Seeing Solaris 9 running fine on same hardware would confirm a
software issue, the same symptoms as you are seeing under Solaris 10
would confirm a hardware issue.

Lionel