[geeks] A U30 puzzle

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Sat Jul 4 00:46:30 CDT 2009

Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Have you considered going back to Solaris 9 and perform similar testing?
>
> I don't think you've determined if hardware or software is to blame...
> You've already had one hardware failure with this system, a second
> failure isn't out of the question.
>
> Installing Solaris 9 will confirm hardware, cable and swich port are
> all fine.

The cable and switch port haven't changed, and if the problem was the
cable or switch port connected to the hme that wouldn't explain why the
e1000g is also only managing about a tenth or less of expected
throughput.  However, I was experiencing some of these issues under
Solaris 9; that's one of the reasons I decided to reinstall.  Going back
to Solaris 9 most likely wouldn't tell me anything about the problem
that I don't already know.
(Though I do have a spare disk slice in there I could put it on, so it
needn't be a destructive install.)

Subsequently, even though I wasn't seeing a lot of swapping when I
looked, I'm beginning to wonder whether the U30 simply doesn't have
enough memory to run Solaris 10 decently.  However .... I just realized
that the U2 and the U30 use the same memory modules.  And while I only
have 512MB in minbar, I have 2GB in the U2 I'm not using.  So I think
I'm going to perform a memory swap on the weekend and see how that
affects things.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.