[geeks] Unsecured Wifi connections now illegal in part of India.

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Jan 13 21:05:03 CST 2009

On Jan 13, 2009, at 18:42 , wa2egp at att.net wrote:

>>> It is a zero-cost effort.  You and I may bristle at the
>>> requirement, but
>>> we both live in the USA, not Mumbai, and all those wonderful
>>> constitutional protections we have here don't really apply there.
>>
>> I don't recall making any reference to the US constitution.  It
>> seems like
>> a pretty impotent document to me.  It's either permitted all the
>> government encroachment US citizens live under all the expansions of
>> executive and legislative power we've seen in the last several
>> decades,
>> and all the recent terror witch-hunting nonsense, or it has been
>> powerless
>> to prevent it.
>
> Since Carter, all the government has to do is 'declare' an emergency
> and the
> Constitution becomes fancy toilet paper.

Correction: since Abraham Lincoln.  He started the ball rolling by
massing an army against a sovereign, illegally, killing citizens who
protested the war, and a number of other Constitution stomping measures.

Carter was simply following a long established trend.

> Why does this all remind me of an old saying that those who give up
> liberty for security get neither.

We've gone overboard doing that, and the price is and will continue to
be very heavy.