[geeks] Dell T105 server upgrade

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Apr 20 09:37:25 CDT 2009

On Apr 20, 2009, at 10:24 , Lionel Peterson wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I just performed the CPU upgrade for my T105 to a quad core, Opteron
> 1356, and am now enjoying better than $135 worth of performance
> increase - a very nice bump in performance, I must say..

Nice, isn't it?

I only got the 1352, but I'm happy with it.

I wish Solaris would slow the CPU down when idle, but maybe we'll get
that feature in the next release.

The diagnostics do print out the CPU power management steps down to
1GHz, so it seems like it should be able to work.

I frequently use the Solaris machine to crunch large virtual machines
and other files down with parallel compression, and it is a lot faster
with the quad-core CPU and the large RAM (8GB).

> Otherwise I'll just flip through NewEgg looking at AM2 socket MBs,
> and hoping that the Opteron is supported, though it is seldom listed
> in the specifications.

You will likely have to visit each manufacturer page for the product
to verify that.

A lot of boards will run the Opteron just fine, so you should be able
to find something.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com