[geeks] Dell T105 server upgrade

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 09:24:23 CDT 2009

Hello all,

I just performed the CPU upgrade for my T105 to a quad core, Opteron
1356, and am now enjoying better than $135 worth of performance
increase - a very nice bump in performance, I must say..

The question now on the table is what to do with my (now) surplus
Opteron 1210 CPU? Anyone have any pointers to a good, cheap MB that
can use this chip? Ideally, I'd like an MB without an unusual nVidia
chipset, and something "server-ish" would be great (dual NIC, more
than 4 GB RAM supported) - I am outside my depth with AMD chips and
MBs, so I'm looking for pointers...

Otherwise I'll just flip through NewEgg looking at AM2 socket MBs, and
hoping that the Opteron is supported, though it is seldom listed in
the specifications.

Lionel