[geeks] nVidia 8800GT for Apple Mac Pro

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue May 20 23:26:59 CDT 2008

On May 20, 2008, at 19:21 , Rick Hamell wrote:

> Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
>> I read a lot of reviews which said it was slower than the ATI 2600,
>> not much faster than the 7300, even an Ars Technica review which
>> showed the 7300 was faster, and several reviews which said it had
>> no effect on the desktop, professional applications, or video.
>> I can't imagine what kind of reality altering drugs they are on,
>> but they are all wrong.
>
> Depending on the age of those reviews, I believe there was a minor
> recall on those cards. We were ordering them at $job for a while,
> stopped being able to get them, then started noticing the same sort
> of speed differences you are after we were able to get the cards
> again.

That might apply to the Ars Technica review which was awhile back, but
some of them were very recent, and simply uninformed.

Some people seem to have a thing where they post negative reviews of
hardware for no particular good reason, or they are posting about old
information.

I was actually surprised to see much 2D difference, but then I
remember a few years ago reading about the 7300 having some problems,
and was surprised Apple used it.

Then again... with 8 pipelines it is probably "good enough" for
Apple's PDF system and a little bit of 3D eye candy if the software is
not too new.

Still... only a $2500 machine, it should have been something nicer.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com