[geeks] nVidia 8800GT for Apple Mac Pro

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Wed May 21 01:11:03 CDT 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 12:26:59AM -0400, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> I was actually surprised to see much 2D difference, but then I remember a
> few years ago reading about the 7300 having some problems, and was
> surprised Apple used it.

You'd be surprised at how much "2D" stuff Apple offloads to the GPU.

For example - on my G3 B&W, 450Mhz, 10.3 and 10.4 were "choppy" when moving
windows around, etc, until I did the hack that enables Quartz Extreme (2D)
on the Radeon 7000 (PCI).  After that, it was "smooth".

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
Houston, Texas