[geeks] What is a good download manager for Linux

Micah R Ledbetter vlack-lists at vlack.com
Wed May 7 17:14:14 CDT 2008

On May 7, 2008, at 13:12, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Have you tried the Sun Download Manager? It's written in Java and
> seems to do a good job - I've used it to download some non-Sun
> files, and it worked as expected, but my "Comcastic" experience is
> much better than you describe. AFAIK, all Comcast is doing to me is
> blocking port 25, so my iPhone can't send email directly when
> connected via WiFi...

Ugh, FUCK Sun's DM. It seems to work for me about half the time, under
either Windows or Solaris. If it stops a download, it doesn't seem to
be able to restart it at all - I have to completely delete the entry
and file, and start over from scratch.

SunDM sucks so much I just copy the stupidly long URL and wget, even
though I can only use the URL for a few hours. wget manages to
actually resume incomplete downloads, too.

It's also slow as hell.

  - Micah