[geeks] What is a good download manager for Linux

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed May 7 13:12:24 CDT 2008

>From: hike <mh1272 at gmail.com>
>Date: 2008/05/07 Wed AM 11:24:30 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] What is a good download manager for Linux

>On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 6:32 AM, Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>
>wrote:
>
>> hike wrote:
>>
>> > What is a good download manager for Linux?
>> >
>> > RHEL 5 @ $work
>> >
>> > Ubuntu 7.10 @ $home
>> >

>> I think the $64,000 question here is, "What are you expecting from a
>> download manager that can't be done with Firefox, wget, or curl?"
>>

>> --
>>  Phil Stracchino, CDK#2     DoD#299792458     ICBM: 43.5607, -71.355
>>  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
>>         Renaissance Man, Unix ronin, Perl hacker, Free Stater
>>                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.
>>

>Our broadband is Comcast (at home)
>Ubuntu and RHEL are the OSes
>
>I prefer downloading RHEL DVD images instead of the CD images.
>Comcast prefers I download CD images and kills the DVD image downloads.
>Comcast also hoses my broadband connect and the cable modem and linksys
>router must be reset.
>
>I would like to be able to restart the DVD image download at the point that
>it was stopped by Comcast.
>
>(Comcast also hoses downloads of multiple CD images also.
>(I download Ubuntu, Solaris, RHEL server/workstation, OpenSolaris
>infrequently.
>(It happens that OpenSolaris & Ubuntu have come out the same month and I am
>upgrading my workstation to RHEL 5.

Have you tried the Sun Download Manager? It's written in Java and seems to do a good job - I've used it to download some non-Sun files, and it worked as expected, but my "Comcastic" experience is much better than you describe. AFAIK, all Comcast is doing to me is blocking port 25, so my iPhone can't send email directly when connected via WiFi...

Lionel