[geeks] DVD install of MacOS 10.5.3 or 10.5.4

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 16:06:30 CDT 2008

On 29 Jul 2008, at 21:46, Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> On Jul 29, 2008, at 14:46 , Mark wrote:
>
>>> Yes, but I don't want to buy a new machine to update my DVD...
>>
>> I wasn't insisting, imply or inferring you did. I was pointing out
>> that Apple *do* update their OS CDs regularly (well at least semi-
>> regularly), contrary to your rather blunt assignation that they did
>> no such thing.
>
> My blunt statement was that they don't provide it for their existing
> customers, and as far as I know that's true.
>
> I don't believe it always was.  Seems to me you used to be able to
> get an updated DVD for 10-20 US dollars.

You threw me because you jumped track from downloading an updated DVD
to buying an Updated DVD. That's a whole different ball game, I follow
you now... I think.

>> You are not Apple, Inc. From our POV it's easy to say 'ahh screw it
>> everyone pirates it anyway'. Sure, we know that. Apple, however,
>> also know that and would be a bunch of *fools* to make it *even
>> easier and more attractive* to pirate the image.
>
> Apple currently makes it hard for their customers to get updated
> images, and trivial for the pirates to get them.

I still don't understand how it's easy for pirates to get images that
no-one can get hold of to rip in the first place...

> If Apple would make updates available to customers, it would make
> piracy less attractive, not more attractive.
>
> An increasing number of pirates these days are legitimate customers
> who need support and cannot otherwise get it.

>> Microsoft won't so it for you unless you have a volume license,
>
> Actually, they provide the tools for making your own Windows
> releases, and have for many years.  That's how all of my WinXP
> installs are done.

They are far from 'user friendly'for an average Joe User though. I
only managed to do it with XP SP2 thanks to nLite. MS's own tools are
like Chinese water torture to use.

>> It's not a trivial matter, it's a very tricky one. How do you
>> legitimately claim an updated Image? I'd love to see your trivial
>> idea...
>
> Context error:
>
> I responded to your comment about how cheap a DVD was for them to
> make, so I said a cheap update should therefore be trivial.
>
> Like I go to the store with my Leopard 10.5.0 DVD and get a 10.5.4
> DVD for $10 or something like that.  Seems pretty trivial to me.  Or
> just go online since I'm a registered customer and buy it there.
>
> Doesn't really seem hard, and I believe they used to do it.

*Upgrade* CDs have been given out for a nominal fee before. To my
knowledge this has only happened once for OS X, and that was the 10.0
to 10.1 step, which, tbh, they were forced to do because 10.0 was to
god damned awful they couldn't charge big money for the upgrade. The
10.1 Upgrade CD requires you to insert the 10.0 CD to install, but was
otherwise a full distribution. I guess that'd work for more recent
versions too. It may have been the case in the past also that these
were available to upgrade say 9.0.4 to 9.1 and 8.6.0 to 8.6.1. I
wasn't around back then to see.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog: