[geeks] DVD install of MacOS 10.5.3 or 10.5.4

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Jul 29 15:46:05 CDT 2008

On Jul 29, 2008, at 14:46 , Mark wrote:

>> Yes, but I don't want to buy a new machine to update my DVD...
>
> I wasn't insisting, imply or inferring you did. I was pointing out
> that Apple *do* update their OS CDs regularly (well at least semi-
> regularly), contrary to your rather blunt assignation that they did
> no such thing.

My blunt statement was that they don't provide it for their existing
customers, and as far as I know that's true.

I don't believe it always was.  Seems to me you used to be able to get
an updated DVD for 10-20 US dollars.

> You are not Apple, Inc. From our POV it's easy to say 'ahh screw it
> everyone pirates it anyway'. Sure, we know that. Apple, however,
> also know that and would be a bunch of *fools* to make it *even
> easier and more attractive* to pirate the image.

Apple currently makes it hard for their customers to get updated
images, and trivial for the pirates to get them.

If Apple would make updates available to customers, it would make
piracy less attractive, not more attractive.

An increasing number of pirates these days are legitimate customers
who need support and cannot otherwise get it.

> Microsoft won't so it for you unless you have a volume license,

Actually, they provide the tools for making your own Windows releases,
and have for many years.  That's how all of my WinXP installs are done.

 From another message:

On Jul 29, 2008, at 14:19 , Mark wrote:

> It's not a trivial matter, it's a very tricky one. How do you
> legitimately claim an updated Image? I'd love to see your trivial
> idea...

Context error:

I responded to your comment about how cheap a DVD was for them to
make, so I said a cheap update should therefore be trivial.

Like I go to the store with my Leopard 10.5.0 DVD and get a 10.5.4 DVD
for $10 or something like that.  Seems pretty trivial to me.  Or just
go online since I'm a registered customer and buy it there.

Doesn't really seem hard, and I believe they used to do it.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com