[geeks] DVD install of MacOS 10.5.3 or 10.5.4

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 10:00:38 CDT 2008

2008/7/29 Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at gmail.com>:

> Also "free" is a loaded term - does it mean:
>
> No cost
> Source code available
> In the public domain -can be redistributed freely

Okay laready, I mean 'no cost', as in Solaris and Linux, and BSD
typically return no commercial profit just for usage.

> And the term "Linux" includes more discrete distributions than I can count,
> with all manner of varying business and licensing models...

>> No average Joe user is gonna bother downloading a repair CD image because
>> they aren't that conscientious, and what  would I need that for, the tools
>> are all on the install DVD.

> Do they ship with updated DVDs or simply DVDs that include latest drivers
> for hardware not previously supported by OS X?

Apple driver updates are typically rolled into the OS updates, unless
they absolutely have to release one separately (see: Leopard Graphics
Update, for e.g.), so they have to ship later OS versions, and the
machines are setup to, in theory, not boot anything earlier, although
some people have succeeded in doing that on some in the past, mostly
by fluke or on PPCs by altering the OFW values.

--

Mark Benson