[geeks] DVD install of MacOS 10.5.3 or 10.5.4

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 08:05:41 CDT 2008

On Jul 29, 2008, at 12:43 AM, Mark <md.benson at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 29 Jul 2008, at 01:33, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
>> On Jul 28, 2008, at 18:58 , Lionel Peterson wrote:
>>
>>> I think the issue exists because Apple sells physical disks for
>>> serious money at their APple Stores and related retail outlets,
>>> and I would imagine it would get expensive to keep pumping
>>> marginally updated DVDs out into the retail supply chain, and I
>>> imagine it would produce a lot of out-dated DVDs.
>>
>> They don't have to "keep pumping them out", just an update now and
>> then, or even a 6 month release cycle like a lot of others use.
>
> You cited Solaris and Linux as examples. Both are Free. OS X isn't.
> If Apple had a downloadable updated ISO the it'd never sell another
> copy of OS X, because OS X has no license keys and thus no way to
> validate the user is a genuine purchaser.

Solaris has customers on support/subscription that get updated media
as part of their agreement.

Also "free" is a loaded term - does it mean:

No cost
Source code available
In the public domain -can be redistributed freely

Solaris is no cost, that is why there is OpenSolaris.

And the term "Linux" includes more discrete distributions than I can
count, with all manner of varying business and licensing models...

> No average Joe user is gonna bother downloading a repair CD image
> because they aren't that conscientious, and what  would I need that
> for, the tools are all on the install DVD.
>
> Also I forgot to mention the previous 2 times all new Hardware ships
> with the latest version of OS X required for that hardware, so many
> new machines probably ship with later versions also, so they all
> have updated DVDs too.

Do they ship with updated DVDs or simply DVDs that include latest
drivers for hardware not previously supported by OS X?

Lionel