[geeks] DVD install of MacOS 10.5.3 or 10.5.4

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 23:43:11 CDT 2008

On 29 Jul 2008, at 01:33, Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> On Jul 28, 2008, at 18:58 , Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
>> I think the issue exists because Apple sells physical disks for
>> serious money at their APple Stores and related retail outlets, and
>> I would imagine it would get expensive to keep pumping marginally
>> updated DVDs out into the retail supply chain, and I imagine it
>> would produce a lot of out-dated DVDs.
>
> They don't have to "keep pumping them out", just an update now and
> then, or even a 6 month release cycle like a lot of others use.

You cited Solaris and Linux as examples. Both are Free. OS X isn't. If
Apple had a downloadable updated ISO the it'd never sell another copy
of OS X, because OS X has no license keys and thus no way to validate
the user is a genuine purchaser.

No average Joe user is gonna bother downloading a repair CD image
because they aren't that conscientious, and what  would I need that
for, the tools are all on the install DVD.

Also I forgot to mention the previous 2 times all new Hardware ships
with the latest version of OS X required for that hardware, so many
new machines probably ship with later versions also, so they all have
updated DVDs too.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog: