[geeks] DVD install of MacOS 10.5.3 or 10.5.4

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 20:24:16 CDT 2008

On Jul 28, 2008, at 8:33 PM, Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
wrote:

> On Jul 28, 2008, at 18:58 , Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
>> I think the issue exists because Apple sells physical disks for
>> serious money at their APple Stores and related retail outlets, and
>> I would imagine it would get expensive to keep pumping marginally
>> updated DVDs out into the retail supply chain, and I imagine it
>> would produce a lot of out-dated DVDs.
>
> They don't have to "keep pumping them out", just an update now and
> then, or even a 6 month release cycle like a lot of others use.

I suspect the OSes you are thinking of have a large number of users
that have support/subscriptions that require/expect updated media on a
regular basis... Or they could be no-cost ISOs (Linux, BSDs, etc.).

> The current Leopard DVD has broken I/O and filesystem code on it, so
> it really should not be used for drive repair

They liked it enough to release it ;^)

I suspect the "company line" is that once you need to repair a drive
FS, anything saved is a gift - you shouldn't expect it be 100%.

Lionel