[geeks] PCI-X motherboard

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Tue Aug 26 11:49:09 CDT 2008

>> Two that I know of are the SuperMicro MBD-X7SBE and MBD-PDSME+-O:
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182142
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182105
>
> Those are fine motherboards, but they cost a bit more than I wanted to
> spend, especially since I would need to buy new processors and FB-DIMMs.

Huh?  They're not FB-DIMM motherboards.  They are DDR2 (ECC supported).
They are also standard socket 775, so you can use pretty cheap standard
CPUs as well.

Sure, you could get an older motherboard, but you'll have to scrounge for
old CPUs and RAM that will most likely offset any cost advantage of the
older motherboard (unless you happen to have older parts lying around and
don't mind the performance drop).

- Nate