[geeks] PCI-X motherboard

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 12:07:16 CDT 2008

nate at portents.com wrote:
>>> Two that I know of are the SuperMicro MBD-X7SBE and MBD-PDSME+-O:
>>>
>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182142
>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182105
>> Those are fine motherboards, but they cost a bit more than I wanted to
>> spend, especially since I would need to buy new processors and FB-DIMMs.
>
> Huh?  They're not FB-DIMM motherboards.  They are DDR2 (ECC supported).
> They are also standard socket 775, so you can use pretty cheap standard
> CPUs as well.

Ah.  Even then, it's still too much money.

> Sure, you could get an older motherboard, but you'll have to scrounge for
> old CPUs and RAM that will most likely offset any cost advantage of the
> older motherboard (unless you happen to have older parts lying around and
> don't mind the performance drop).

I do have older parts lying around.  Everything but the motherboard.

Anyway, if I use the motherboard that Dan suggested in another message,
my entire machine will come in well under the cost of just one of those
Supermicro motherboards.

I really like Supermicro.  I've used their motherboards extensively
before, but they just cost too much in this instance.

Peace...  Sridhar