[geeks] Vista on Tablet followup [was DVD install of MacOS 10.5.3 or 10.5.4 ]

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 16:51:43 CDT 2008

On Aug 5, 2008, at 11:05 AM, Nadine Miller wrote:
> Aside: I have managed to shoe-horn Vista onto my Fujitsu tablet
> (ST5021) and apart from the SD/Mem stick slot (not recognized) and
> the PCMCIA card slot (haven't tested), it is working pretty well.
> Another thing I'm not sure about and need to test further.  It
> appears Vista will not let you connect to wired and wireless at the
> same time.  I need to take the tablet out of it's dock to verify
> that wireless will work.  If not, this would be a show-stopper.  But
> the handwriting recognition is considerably improved over XP Tablet.

Apparently there is something braindead in Vista with certain wireless
cards and WPA1/TKIP.  I switched the router to WPA2/TKIP and it's
golden.

I've never used the SD card in the laptop at all, so I'm not
particularly concerned about that lack.  My next test will be
hibernation, then I'll try the PCMCIA slot, but I'm not too worried
about the latter, since I've never used it, either.

SP1 doesn't appear to have done anything dramatically one way or
another on the performance front (other than taking a long time to
install).  I'll probably do minimal tweaks to see if I can get it to
boot a bit faster.  All in all, the experience has been much better
than the bloatware install of Vista that came with the Compaq laptop
my dad had bought last year.  The difference in handwriting
recognition makes it worth the small headaches.

=Nadine=