[geeks] DVD install of MacOS 10.5.3 or 10.5.4

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 13:05:40 CDT 2008

On Aug 5, 2008, at 10:47 AM, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> What constantly amazes me is that I can't download an ISO of the
> vendor-supplied install disc for a given MB. I typically put the
> network driver on via USB key, then let windows find everything.
>
> The problem with loading drivers in WinXP and Server 2003 is that
> the underlying OS is 5+ years old...
>
> Vista/Server 2008 will read in USB keys and CDs, but only for
> storage drivers (I think)...
>
> I wish I could make a folder called $DRIVERS$ in the root dir of a
> drive and install would query it before giving up on a device...

I thought you could do that with the custom install tools? (It's been
a while since I've used them.)  Though that would definitely be
overkill for a one-off home machine.

You shouldn't mention that vendor supplied ISO business, or you'll set
Shannon off again. ;-)

Aside: I have managed to shoe-horn Vista onto my Fujitsu tablet
(ST5021) and apart from the SD/Mem stick slot (not recognized) and the
PCMCIA card slot (haven't tested), it is working pretty well.  Another
thing I'm not sure about and need to test further.  It appears Vista
will not let you connect to wired and wireless at the same time.  I
need to take the tablet out of it's dock to verify that wireless will
work.  If not, this would be a show-stopper.  But the handwriting
recognition is considerably improved over XP Tablet.

File operations are laggy (deleting and moving files particularly,
presumably due to "ghost copy") and it is slow to boot, but the rest
performs pretty well.  I haven't attacked it with vLite using
BlackViper's analysis of services, so I may be able to improve
performance some.  Right now I'm waiting on SP1 to finish downloading.

Specs: 1.1Ghz Pentium M, 2GB RAM, 5400RPM 40GB HD, Intel integrated
graphics (952/955 GME).

=Nadine=