[geeks] DVD install of MacOS 10.5.3 or 10.5.4

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Aug 3 15:46:00 CDT 2008

>From: Mike Meredith <very at zonky.org>
>Date: 2008/08/02 Sat PM 05:19:31 EDT
>To: geeks at sunhelp.org
>Subject: Re: [geeks] DVD install of MacOS 10.5.3 or 10.5.4

>On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 15:17:49 -0500 (CDT), Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> We haven't had time/need to investigate using the proper SYSPREP
>> tools to make our images, GHOST is adequate for our current needs
>> (imaging several hundred desktops of varying models with one of about
>> 5 images over the summer recess)...
>
>You still have a 'summer recess' ? It's been at least 5 years since
>work's summer was quiet enough to be called a 'recess' :(

K-12 School District - yes, we have summer recess (well, the Kids do - we're re-wiring every network closet, rebuilding our server room, installing IP cameras around campus and refreshing 1/4th of our computers)

>I believe they use Novell's Zenworks Imaging to build Windows machines.
>At least some labs are rebuilt every night.

I remember one lab at Community College that was used by about a dozen classes (programming, office automation, etc.) with the systems booting to a menu, from which you selected a course, and the entire HD (just about 10 Meg!) was wiped and reloaded with an image specific to your selected class... This was on a 10base-2 (coax) network about 20 years ago...

Lionel