[geeks] Gigabit upgrade

Alois Hammer aloishammer at casearmour.net
Sun Aug 3 16:42:13 CDT 2008

Now that my network has a fair number of gigabit-capable PCs, with a
couple more rebuilds on the way, I'm looking seriously at gigabit
switching.  I'm upgrading from an Intel 510T and 520T (24x and
12x10/100Mbps, respectively) with backplane interconnect.  I've been
kind of spoiled by having managed switches, and I'm wondering if there's
any way to acquire 16-port-or-bigger managed gig copper switches without
either paying ~USD$700 or buying not-made-by-Dell (of which I have heard
many horror stories).  Used would be fine, so long as eBay is not
involved.

If not, I'm eyeing the NetGear GS116 and JGS524 switches.

Does anyone know where to get new or used managed gig switches for
significantly less than MSRP, or whether the NetGear units would be best
avoided for some reason that's not clear in the NewEgg reviews?

TIA