[geeks] DVD install of MacOS 10.5.3 or 10.5.4

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Aug 1 17:56:05 CDT 2008

On Aug 1, 2008, at 15:12 , Nadine Miller wrote:

> But as you said, this is not something the everyday user is going to
> do.  I know *techs* that aren't even aware of these tools
> (admittedly they are independent types, not enterprise, types, but
> still).

Normally true, however...

Windows installation is amazingly painful, and so installation mods
are quite popular.  I'm a little suspicious of a "tech" who isn't
aware of this.

I've seen it covered in local Windows users groups and a lot of gamers
do it.

Pain is a powerful motivator, and I think that's why it is popular in
the Windows world.

Yes, it sucks to have to make one, but it doesn't suck near as bad as
doing Windows installs the normal way.

It literally saves me hours of time.

By contrast you have rarely needed this for a Mac, thus far less demand.

> It is possible to order a media kit from Apple; this is how the CD
> distro of Tiger was done, and it can also be used to by media
> specific to your machine.  The fact that your Genius said "No"
> doesn't mean it's not possible, it just means the Genius you talked
> to may not know any better.

I was just giving a personal example to illustrate, the problem is
hardly limited to me.

You have to understand how the Apple Store works: often when you ask a
question, the floor guy will walk back into the "huddle" where they
discuss it, and his response is collective, not just him alone.

Also, what Apple has been telling people is for them to use their old
graphics card or buy one to do the re-install, rather than offer a
replacement install disk.

> Call Apple support and ask.  If enough people do this, there might
> be a resolution.  It's been shown multiple times that Apple responds
> to numbers.

I'm hoping that works this weekend.

But really... I'd kinda like to have seen Apple be a little more
proactive in dealing with problems like this.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com