[geeks] DVD install of MacOS 10.5.3 or 10.5.4

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 14:35:53 CDT 2008

On Jul 29, 2008, at 2:06 PM, Mark wrote:

> *Upgrade* CDs have been given out for a nominal fee before. To my
> knowledge this has only happened once for OS X, and that was the
> 10.0 to 10.1 step, which, tbh, they were forced to do because 10.0
> was to god damned awful they couldn't charge big money for the
> upgrade. The 10.1 Upgrade CD requires you to insert the 10.0 CD to
> install, but was otherwise a full distribution. I guess that'd work
> for more recent versions too. It may have been the case in the past
> also that these were available to upgrade say 9.0.4 to 9.1 and 8.6.0
> to 8.6.1. I wasn't around back then to see.

/me tries but fails to resist comparing 10.0 to Solaris
2.0...recalling that it took Sun up to 2.3 for it to be useable, and
2.5.1 to be even close to "bullet proof".  All things considered, I
think Apple is doing quite all right, OS-wise.

There were point releases available back in the day, that's what the
"proof of purchase" coupons were for.  I had "retail" media for 8.5
and 9.0, iirc.  And also the 9.1 "retail" media came with my Pismo in
addition to the Pismo 9.0.4 install and restore CDs.

Remember, though, that most people were still on dial-up in those days
and many computers didn't even have an ethernet port. Very few people
had the ability to DL a 50MB update, much less a 500MB update.  That
said, I'd be a little ticked if I was out in the sticks on dial-up
today with a shiny new copy of Leopard and could not at least get
"update" media shipped to me.

=Nadine=