[geeks] Opinions on T-Mobile and Verizon

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Thu Nov 29 08:42:17 CST 2007

On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 09:23:48AM -0500, der Mouse wrote:
> If it won't work with "just any WiFi", it's because they've botched the
> implementation - whether through malice or incompetence I'm not in a
> position to say, of course.

It may be something simpler. Since they charge for their WiFi service,
I assume there is some sort of authorization, and the phone may be set
not to attempt to connect to networks which do not require and
accept the authorization.

I don't know the legal status of using someone else's WiFi network
without permission in the U.S. or Canada, but a phone that connects
to the strongest network it can find without any authorization or
encryption could be legally a disaster for them.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838