[geeks] Opinions on T-Mobile and Verizon

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Thu Nov 29 08:34:09 CST 2007

Michael Parson wrote:
> One thing I've found recently is that personal cell-phone repeaters are
> surprisingly affordable.  You can get one for your house for <$300.
> Both Fry's and Thinkgeek have them for $249 for the single-band or
> $349 for the dual band units.  Google/products found them for cheaper
> elsewhere.
>
>> Verizon probably has good coverage, but I really hate that company and
>> rather not support them if possible.

Unfortunately they can only amplify and rebroadcast signal that's there
in the first place.  We don't have reliable GSM signal here even
outside.  It's highly typical around here for me to pull out my phone at
the school bus stop, see three bars, think "Aha!  I have signal!", try
to dial a call, and watch the signal drop to zero and stay there before
I can even finish dialling the call.

--
 Phil Stracchino, CDK#2         ICBM: 43.5607, -71.355
 phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net   alaric at caerllewys.net
         It's not the years, it's the mileage.