[geeks] Opinions on T-Mobile and Verizon

Thu Nov 29 08:23:48 CST 2007

> You can also get a phone from them that works over WiFi, but I think
> it might require their special AP/Router for that to work, ie, I
> don't know that it works with just any WiFi connection, but I've not
> done any real reasearch into them.

If it won't work with "just any WiFi", it's because they've botched the
implementation - whether through malice or incompetence I'm not in a
position to say, of course.

That assumes various aspects of the WiFi are non-broken, too, of
course.  And if there's a NAT or firewalling in front of the WiFi
(common in public WiFi spots), it can fail in ways that look like
incompatibility with the WiFi when it's actually incompatability with
the NAT/firewall, because the two are inseparable from the phone's
point of view.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca