[geeks] Opinions on T-Mobile and Verizon

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Thu Nov 29 08:38:59 CST 2007

Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Michael Parson wrote:
>
>> One thing I've found recently is that personal cell-phone repeaters are
>> surprisingly affordable.  You can get one for your house for <$300.
>> Both Fry's and Thinkgeek have them for $249 for the single-band or
>> $349 for the dual band units.  Google/products found them for cheaper
>> elsewhere.
>>
> Unfortunately they can only amplify and rebroadcast signal that's there
> in the first place.  We don't have reliable GSM signal here even
> outside.  It's highly typical around here for me to pull out my phone at
> the school bus stop, see three bars, think "Aha!  I have signal!", try
> to dial a call, and watch the signal drop to zero and stay there before
> I can even finish dialling the call.

The one we have at our office has a directional antenna.  Point that
antenna and your nearest cell tower, and while the low gain
omnidirectional antenna of your phone near ground level might not get
any signal, a higher gain directional antenna can.  I'm not in that
office very often, so I cannot comment on how well it works first-hand,
but my coworkers reported a big improvement when it was first installed
about eight months ago.

    -Dan Sikorski